Saturday, September 19, 2009

Where did the Sunshine go?

I got up this morning with my day all planned out... and it turned out to be just one of "those" days! After the rain started, there was a trip to the vet with a sick pussy cat, then a few hours waiting to pick him up, then a flat tyre on the way home. Then, I also discover that my spare has deflated from a long time of non-use. Typical! AND to top it all off, this all happens at quarter past 4 on a Saturday afternoon, just after all the tyre places have shut up shop for the rest of the weekend. So now I have the joy of driving around with a sexy space saver tyre until Monday morning. Hot! :) hehe Oh, and did I mention that it's also YELLOW!


But kitty cat and car dramas aside, it is the weekend so that's always a plus. I managed to finish my jewellery display last night and I am quite pleased with it. It is, however, no way near big enough for all of my earrings so the next prototype will definitely be upsized. As expected, a few construction glitches came up along the way but all in all it was a successful project. I love it when you design and make something for the first time. It is so rewarding when you see it all come together. It's also very cool when you continue to develop it and have it to compare to once you have perfected your technique! There is a couple of minor things that I am going to alter in the next version, so will let you all know how that goes. I wanted to take some pictures to put up, but the photos tend to come out grainy at night for some reason, so I will wait until I get some daylight tomorrow morning.

But speaking of pictures... I just can't resist posting a picture of my SERIOUSLY retro and awesomely cool sewing machine.



How cute is she? I was the happiest girl in the world when I managed to bag this bargain on Trademe a few months ago. A 1970 Husqvarna! It is the exact same model that I learnt on when I was a young girl, except in way funkier colours. I am pretty certain my Mum still has her machine actually - so we now have matching ones :) There is just something about old, reliable, basic machines. Whilst I admire all the functionality the new machines have, you just can't beat a machine that just does what it is supposed to do... sew!

The other really cool thing about this little baby, is that she has a little table attachment that clips on to give you more control over your work, and her own hardcover that slides over and clips into place. What's best is that the pedal, bobbin box and table all jigsaw together with the machine, under the cover. Too cool for school! Here are some pics to show you exactly what I mean.






I really hate packing her away though. She looks so cute all setup and ready to sew. I am moving house in a couple of months and my one prerequisite of a house is that it has a room big enough for ALL of my design and creating materials to be set up all the time. That way when ever I am in the mood to be creative, it's a matter of going into the room and just getting into it. How cool that would be!

Anyway, I have about 65 pendants prepped and ready to coat, so I am going to get onto that. Hope you are all having a fabulous weekend so far :)

K x

No comments:

Post a Comment