Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sewing Machine to A&E

Wow, this is the longest I have gone between blog posts... and I'm sure you are all distraught (hehe) so here is an update of the last few days.

Saturday I finally signed the lease for a new rental. Very exciting. Moving next week — which is a little more stressful than it is exciting. Have started packing, but there is so much I don't want to pack "just incase" I need it between now and next weekend. On Sunday I took a lovely drive down to Devonport to drop some Auckland Craft Collective flyers to Jess (who had her lovely Bam Bam Creative stall there, absolutely chockers with new goodies) and to also have a look at all the clever crafty creations that were there this month. I honestly think the quality and assortment just gets better and better every month. Well done to everyone at the Devonport Craft Market!

Today I had a particularly busy day and it felt like I spent all day driving backwards and forwards. My lovely BFF celebrated her 25th Birthday today so I went to join her and a few of her other close friends for lunch in the city. We had a delish lunch at the Belgium Beer Cafe and lots of laughs.


My Gorgeous BFF

Since I had launched Skipapple, I thought I should probably make her a little something for her birthday. I was going to make her a pendant, but she received a beautiful necklace from her boyfriend so I didn't want to make her choose which necklace she would wear ;) She had dropped a subtle hint that she would like a pencil case so I cranked the sewing machine this morning and made her one from a pattern that Jess had posted a link to on her blog a few weeks back. This is the result...



 The Birthday Pressie!

For a first attempt I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. There is a few little things that need improving on the next one that I make, but all-in-all it was a success and Hayley seemed to like it (or she's a very good actress! Oh hang on, she is a good actress. Damn! hehe)

Sadly this afternoon my poor little sewing machine had a break down and needed to go to Sewing Machine A&E. I was happily winding a bobbin when all of a sudden it stopped turning. I opened her up to have a squiz (no idea what I thought I would be able to do, mind you) and saw the broken belt. And just incase you were wondering what the inside of an old sewing machine looked like, I kindly took a photo for you all to see ;)



It's not the best photo, but you get the idea! Lots of cogs, rods and turning pieces! I was lucky enough to find a man that repairs sewing machines, that isn't too far from where I live which was great news. Plus, he said he can even probably get it finished tomorrow so I should have my baby home to me by tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed!

I've been busy working with Jess on the Auckland Craft Collective and things are progressing really nicely. We've come up with a website design and have just about finished nutting out all the details and we are really stoked with how it's coming along. It should be up in the next couple of weeks, but you can follow our progress on our blog.

Another busy day ahead tomorrow, so I should probably try get to sleep now. Hope you are all having a fabulous week so far.
xx

3 comments:

  1. I didn't like it at all - I LOVED it!! I also feel honoured to have recieved the very first skipapple creation! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I hope your sewing machine is out of hospital and is doing well !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww shucks H... glad you loved it :)

    Thanks Clare. My little sewing machine is all better and back home. She is running beautifully now — so good to have her home!

    ReplyDelete